Grocery & Retail Employment Training
Skills learned during the grocery & retail employment training program
Participants will learn essentials for the service industry and how to make every interaction with customers positive. Students will develop skills for ways to understand customer needs, project a positive customer service image and brand, and learn how to customize their communication style to create outstanding customer relations.
This course is classroom-based. Successful completers of the class will have the opportunity to interview with Big Box retailers and grocery retailers such as Mariano’s, Pete’s Fresh Market, and Walmart who need the employees with the skills of program graduates.
During the customized program, participants will learn all the skills necessary to be successful in the grocery or retail industries. They will develop professional language and communication skills, positive coworker relationships, successful conflict resolution, industry-specific customer service skills, self esteem through personal branding exercises, grocery specific skills such as bagging and stocking shelves and food product recognition.
Graduate qualifications and certifications
Program graduates will qualify for the following positions within the grocery and retail industry:
- Assistant Managers
- Kitchen Managers
- Deli Clerks or Supervisors
- Cake Decorators
- Foodservice Clerks
- Meat and Seafood Clerks
- Stock Clerks
- Customer Service Clerks
- Produce or Floral Clerks
- Wine and Spirits Team Members
The following licenses and nationally recognized certifications will be issued during the course of training:
- ServSafe Certification, issued through the Illinois Restaurant Association and the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF)
- City of Chicago Sanitation License, issued through the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH)
- ManageFirst Customer Service (Illinois Restaurant Association)
- BASSET Certification, issued through the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF)
- Total Testing Customer Service Assessment
Requirements: Must be able to speak, read, and write English.
Online programs are available for individual employers only. They are not open to the public.
Educational Advantage, Inc. is WBE certified in the City of Chicago, Cook County and the State of Illinois, DBE/ACDBE certified in the City of Chicago, and a Section 3 owned business.